Michael Malthouse - The Official Website of Mick Malthouse

Grand Final Replay

28.09.2010 | Posted in Commentary by Guest | 34 comments

So brides across the country are upset that a Grand Final replay may interrupt their big day… Understandable. But what about our big day – and by ‘our’ I mean football supporters? The people left with an unfathomable taste in their mouth last Saturday; the fans enduring the longest half time break in AFL history; the supporters who need (a wonderful American term) ‘closure’??? This Saturday is our big day too and boy do we need a result!

For Collingwood supporters – as I am (all media objectivity aside!) there’s only one result we want.

Lets revisit the final minutes of last Saturday’s first Grand Final (if you can hack it.) We’d taken back the lead by a point, thanks to a Travis Cloke goal. As I worry just a little about the effect my heart pounding three times it’s normal speed is having on my 14 week old fetus, I ask: “How long is left?” The only person in our vicinity with a radio, Luke Ball’s poor mum can hardly lift the ear piece to her ear for her shaking hands. “Two and a half minutes.” My god hold on boys, don’t give the ball up.

We’d already seen a courageous captains act by the other Nick, when Nick Riewoldt kicked at goal. Erin Maxwell (5 and a half months pregnant herself) hardly dared move in her seat, silently applauding her husband for getting his hands to the ball on the line. Now, a Lenny Hayes shot – bouncing, bouncing – a point. Ok so it’s level. There’s still time to get it down for a goal isn’t there?

“10 seconds left,” someone shouts. Oh dear! 9…8…7… Don’t let them get a point. 6…5… Kick it long…4…3… Just hold on…2…1 Siren.

A Draw. I think we need a pause here.

Confusion. Disbelief. Numbness. Exhaustion. And that’s just the supporters. Imagine how the players and coaches are feeling.

For those of you who took a while to get over the ‘result’ (and I’ll admit I woke the next day feeling as though I’d played a half myself so sore were my muscles from holding myself tense, and so scratchy my voice from shouting loudly, that it took a few more hours to shake off the bleak mood and look ahead to this week,) you can be rest assured that the playing group led by their coach (who has now been involved in three drawn finals,) were refocused, positive and determined by the time their heads hit the pillow for sleep that Saturday night.

So this is where we come in – Collingwood supporters. For all the recovery and planning and preparation the boys will put in again this week, we have to give them support. When the knockers and the doubters get louder leading up to the game, we have to show them our confidence. When the game begins on Saturday until it ends (especially when it gets tough and tight,) we have to voice our encouragement.

This is our big day too, and this time we will be part of the result!

Go Pies. Go Dad. Go Pa!!!

Christi Malthouse

(Plus Nanette, Dean, Danielle and Simon, Cain and Aleesa, Troy and Talia, Zac, Holly and bump. And all the Magpie Army.)

Back

Comments

September 28th, 2010 at 1:53pm
Adam
I must admit on Sunday, I felt like I didn't care any more. All the emotion that had built up over the past 25 weeks was expelled and I was left feeling numb. A feeling that I had never felt before and all over a game of footy?!

This Saturday is our chance of redemption.... As a Collingwood family!!
As guest posts, we must all stick together and help get our boys over the line.

Side by side.... (Transcending the field)
September 28th, 2010 at 2:06pm
MorningMag
This is were there SIDE BY SIDE comes in - we can't kick it for them or help them run - but we can get the flags flying and the voices out - we can try to help lift them like never before ………………… let’s make sure that there is no one able to be “disrespectful” to us this week as they try to talk as we do our chant.

Let’s show our boys that we are here, still supporting and believing – back at training on Friday and making noise on Saturday at the “G”

GO PIES! SIDE BY SIDE FLOREAT PICA

September 28th, 2010 at 2:15pm
Kathy
Thanks 'guest' for giving us an insight to how the family of the players/coaches were fairing in the final moments of the game. I myself, watching from home with my husband, had to leave the lounge room not long after Leon kicked his goal. I was getting a sick feeling of dread and couldn't stand to watch anymore as I couldn't bear the sight of the possible pain on the faces of our boys in case we lost. My husband came outside to tell me the match had drawn??!!

I was dumbfounded, speechless, empty. I couldn't go through another week of the build up, it was too much.

On Sunday morning, the papers were on the kitchen table, we sat there for ages pouring over the reports, looking at the pictures, reliving the game, slowly it started to sink in.... we have a chance to win the premiership..... The report about members being given additional ticket allocations rolled around in my head. On an 11 game family membership and a tight weekly budget, we could never have dreamed of going to a grand final, but I said to my husband.... we have to go if we get the chance, the team has to stand together side by side.

I sat at exactly 1pm on Monday at my computer and by 1.10pm I had 2 tickets that I never should have had to go and see Collingwood in the Grand Final Rematch.

I couldn't stand to watch to the end last Saturday, but if the Magpies can show up again this week and give their hearts and souls for one more crack at winning us a flag, I will stay till they kick me out of the 'G' and cheer you all on, WIN OR LOSE!

GO THE PIES.
September 28th, 2010 at 2:16pm
smauge
Your description of the final seconds of the game was an exact replica of what I was doing (minus the fetus). A lady sitting in front of me had a radio and was giving us time updates. When it went out of bounds I leaned over and asked her how long. 7 seconds. I knee it wasn't long enough for us to score but it might me enough for some sort of Barry Breen effort from the saints. I stood up and counted aloud those last 7 seconds.
When that final siren went my first (and only) reaction was elation. Not just at the fact that we had escaped with a draw that could so easily have been a loss, but that I had just witnessed history. I was only 6 in 1977 and not even at the MCG that day. But I was this time. And despite the fact that (coming from Sydney and as a mother of young children) I knew I wasn't going to be able to return for the replay, I had bee part of something I thought we may never see again.
I'll be shouting alright, even if it is from a Sydney pub amongst 200 other faithful supporters. But I'll forever be grateful for these boys giving me a memory I will carry for the rest of my life.
September 28th, 2010 at 2:37pm
Ronda Brien
I was one of the lucky 100,016 to attend last Saturday & boy what a game it was. I will not be there this week but i will be glued to the T V.
All the luck in the world to Mick & the Boys. All of the training has been done now it is time to bring home the reward & by that i mean the big silver cup & the Premiership Flag. GO THE PIES!!!!!!!!
September 28th, 2010 at 3:23pm
Sam
Thank you Christi and others for a great insight, As a 35 year Collingwood supporter who has all the faith in the world in our coaching staff and the team, SIDE BY SIDE what a year it has been. To be honest I can't imagine being in the players shoes last Saturday it was bad enough being a supporter and sitting back waiting for that siren then it hit us all even non Collingwood supporters were gob smacked, the opinion is ONE DAY IN SEPTEMBER!!! But as you will remember 20 years ago it was that first week in October and that first AFL Cup our boys held high. As i have said all along this finals campaign bring on the Grand Final we are loving our celebration this year, 20 years of AFL and 20 years since we held that precious cup. SIDE BY SIDE we stand strong as our players play hard our supporters sing loud and proud. Together we can achieve anything well done and thanks for the memories, looking forward to many more!!!
September 28th, 2010 at 3:52pm
Maggie
My husband and I were there on Saturday, all the way from WA! We managed to get tickets after the Prelim and we were 'over the moon' to be sitting in the stands for the GF. An amazing game, we were left stunned and speechless at the final siren! We are still recovering! Unfortunately, we will not be there in person for next Saturday's replay, however we will be there in spirit. To Mick and his great team of players, support staff, Mick's family, to Eddie and all Magpie supporters, we hope for a great outcome next Saturday. Win or lose we are, forever, Collingwood through and through.
September 28th, 2010 at 4:15pm
Rodney Lowe
I was in Newcastle last Saturday, in a house full of Saints supporters and I was alone! The play of the day has to go to Nick Maxwell for his goal saving dive. Truly an inspirational captain! Next week we will stand side by side and I am a 44 year Pies supporter
September 28th, 2010 at 4:38pm
Kathy
Thanks Christie - what a great insight!
Side by Side
September 28th, 2010 at 4:42pm
John Blades
When you study the stats (which I did on Sunday morning) it reflects the hope that exists if our boys play their normal game and get back their usual possessions during the replay......and they will.
Our strong and fervent support will lift our team and produce tremendous positive determination and body language.
What a star our captain is. A great leader thus our players will respond.
Bring in Goldsack for fresh legs.
Go Pies, with with you Side by Side.
Johnno.
September 28th, 2010 at 5:29pm
Nat
Very well said. I am so proud of all 22 and the effort they displayed to give us another crack at the cup. I have so much faith in the players and coaches that they will bounce back twice as hard this week, just as they have all year. I believe st kilda threw their best at us and still could not win, where as our boys had a game which won't be considered one of their better games of the year. This week they will lift, they will fight and they wi play their hearts out for themselves and for every person who bleeds black and white. I believe our boys can fire this week, they will kick the goals that they were unable to find last week. I will be there for that first Saturday in October, just as I was when I was 8, and wi be cheering until the final siren sounds and the cup is safely in Mick hands. GO MAGGIES
September 28th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Tina Paspaliaris
Well it's tuesday and we're still alive, woo-hoo!! That thought has entered my head often since that siren sounded....You learn everyday and today I have learned and am convinced that pregnancy and collingwood is a mighty dynamic combination....I have a special request , I mean think of Christi, she needs to be cool, calm and relaxed this weekend so I have the perfect solution, I believe that we have a secret weapon, it's the type of secret weapon that can fire but it can also destroy given half a chance. Sometimes just the fear you put into the opposition by selecting this player is enough, unfortunately they think they have our measure in the small forwards dept. but personally I believe that no doubt T.Lockyer has been enormous for the great Collingwood F.C., BUT Paul Medhurst is the only X-Factor (with one B.Dick unavailable) ...the great no.7 needs to enter the arena and just cause some fear , believe me I reckon the boy can do it....That's my request for christi to be calm after P.M kicks a few 6 pointers. ...she will be looking me up to thank me
:) Goodluck Mick Go The Mighty Magpies!!!!
September 28th, 2010 at 6:38pm
Carol
Hi Christi,can only imagine what the immediate family of coach and players were going through on Saturday, I certainly know my heart was in overdrive, you will have some wonderful tales to tell your little"bump" in the years to come......the boys all looked gutted when the siren went(both sides) however I really admired the decision for the Collingwood players to attend the function at Crown, then on Sunday get back down to business..we have a very young side and I think Michael and the assistant coaches have done a wonderful job, they will fight back this week, having another chance to fight once more for the cup........whatever happens I will remain a very proud and loyal fan of Collingwood,your Dad,the other coaches and especially the boys.I am a Gran and I just love seeing Michael with his Grandchildren, I hope he gets more time to spend with them in the coming weeks.
Thanks Christi,
Carol
September 28th, 2010 at 6:47pm
marita
Not sure if I have ever enjoyed reading an article as I have just enjoyed reading this! I was the person in the photograph on page 4 in the Sunday Herald Sun (bottom photo) with that look of absolute shock on my face - I think I summed up the moment with my look of- 'I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS" It was the strangest feeling that was felt all around the ground, but, at the same time just thinking, no it's OK we have another chance next week and the word redemption rang through my head all the way home. Now more than ever its Collingwood's time to stick SIDE BY SIDE. Every Collingwood fan needs to chant and barrack louder than we ever have before. Lets get our boys over the line. GO PIES you CAN DO IT!!
September 28th, 2010 at 6:53pm
KB
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

Vince Lombardi

I was proud to witness a magnificent effort at the G on Sat afternoon. Proud of a Team who had battled against the opposition, the doubters & the critics.

The time is now gentlemen, it's only the end of the first half & it's time to reload - it;s what you've worked so hard for..... your time to be victorious !

And we will all be with you again on Sat afternoon - Side by side !!!

September 28th, 2010 at 7:41pm
Tina
Opportunity often comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat.

Go Pies, you are an exceptionally talented team & you will win on Saturday
September 28th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Joybelle
Rest assured Christie, we (magpie army) were 100%
with you in those last few minutes of the game. Was feeling so flat after the game and all day Sunday. But Monday was a new day and the beginning of a new week....and a chance to again win a premiership...nothing can be more exciting than that now.....We will be with our boys 110% on Saturday, win, lose or extra time (god hope not) xx
September 28th, 2010 at 9:01pm
Geri Bride
I feel for you and the boys Mick. I know the boys will bounce back next Saturday and show the true grit and determination that has been their hallmark this year.
They will put on their trademark clinic for the opposition, the likes of which will silence the critics for all time. GO PIES!!!
September 28th, 2010 at 9:13pm
Raelene
In the past week, there has been so much talk about the players performance, where they went wrong, what they didn't do, how they let it get away. We forget through our emotions, that the players are feeling just as stunned, probably stinging from the comments of the knockers and doubters and wanting nothing more than to get back out there, play their best football and prove to the world that they can do it. Last Saturday, we were all like a family, crazy in our support, united in our disappointment. We can't win the game for them, but we can lift the boys with our support, inspire them with our belief and fill the whole MCG with our passion. Side by Side.
September 29th, 2010 at 10:46am
Doug
We wouldn't be having a replay if someone had shown Travis Cloke the fundamental error of his kicking for goal.
Put simply, he holds the ball at arms length out in front of his body which causes him to lay back when kicking but more than that, it causes him to make contact at the end of his kicking action, causing him to hook and slice at random. He must contact the ball nearer to his body, lower to the ground and follow through. That simple!
September 29th, 2010 at 11:34am
Kaye Widdowson
I am so proud to be a Collingwood supporter. I love what the boys have achieved this year - for such a young team they are fantastic. Credit must go to Mick and the coaching team for getting them to where they are.

I have attended several functions with the Women in Black this year - these were such good fun and I felt really a part of the Collingwood family. The boys (whoever attends) always do themselves proud by their attitude and professionalism.

All I can say is GO PIES. Can't be at the game as couldn't get a tic, but I will be barracking hard and loud as I do at every game. GOOD luck Mick and the coaching team. Good luck boys - go for it.

SIDE by SIDE we STAND as one......

Kaye

September 29th, 2010 at 1:14pm
Cam
Dear Mick
I think you are an awesome coach. The best we have had yet. Certainly the best since 1972 when I was first introduced to our great game via a baptism of fire, literally. It was the day the floggers went up in flames at Victoria Park. Those were the days when full forwards rarely missed and rovers found their mark with the precision of a roof top sniper. I fell in love with the drama and the addictive passion that AFL football inspires in so many of us that year.

Mick, much has been said about the motivation driving St Kilda not to lose this Grand Final. To be honest, it had me terrified before the game on Saturday. The 2009 images of Brendan Goddard’s grief highlighted by a bandage holding his head together would not leave me. I knew he would be dangerous on Saturday. He is one of those scary characters who have no fear. Someone I imagine you would want beside you in the trenches.

My question to you Mick is this. If the awful grief from losing one grand final is enough to drive a group of men to a heroic come back, then what about the collective grief of tens of thousands, no…hundreds of thousands of people built up over decades. What if you could take that, distill it in some way and somehow help our players feel it?

What if you could take the shock and grief of the 1970 Grand Final and the 1979 Grand Final, when Wayne Harmes stole what should have been ours, and crush it into bitter, sharp pieces and serve it up to our boys? What about the 2002 Grand Final when you stood holding a sobbing and heart broken Paul Licuria, both of you devastated because an unlikely dream was snatched from you? In 2002 our team’s success was built on sheer chutzpah, and a bit of talent. This year is different. This year you have a seriously good side. One that actually deserves to be in the Grand Final, not one that somehow found good form in a final series.

On Saturday I watched my 10 year old nephew dissolve into uncontrollable sobs when Brendan Goddard put the Saints in front at the 18 minute mark. Dread consumed me as I was taken back to a time when I too sobbed uncontrollably when a premiership that was seemingly ours was taken from our collective clutches.

The rest of us there on Saturday old enough to understand what was coming slumped back in our seats as he jumped to his feet, begging, crying and willing our boys on. We looked helplessly at him, and knowingly at each other. With 12 minutes to go, we knew the signs. It was over.

When Travis Cloke kicked a goal with three minutes left to put us back in front, we got up off the couches and joined my nephew. We were in unchartered territory. Collingwood was mounting a challenge. Not only that, we were back in front: where you win premierships. The Gods hadn’t entirely deserted us. When Lenny Hayes –channelling Barry Breen – snapped at goal and rather than bouncing as Leigh Brown’s had the week before it richochet out of Stephen Milne’s way to score a behind, that was reward for my nephew’s blind faith. What followed next was a series of plays starting with Ben Johnson fighting with a pack to stop a St Kilda score. He managed to kick it clear of their forward 50. When the siren went, the ball was well out of the danger zone and had started to shift towards our goals.

Nick Maxwell said we had dodged a bullet and would have lost had there been time on. I agreed with him at the time. But, I don’t now. I am not convinced we would have lost. I think this team is different. I believe this team knows how to withstand and rise above momentum. I reckon you know it too.

If the pain of losing a Grand Final gives a team an advantage, then Mick look around you and inside you. You don’t have to be on the battlefield to be touched by war.

September 29th, 2010 at 4:38pm
Stephanie
There were two interesting articles that I read today that may be insightful for the Grand Final Replay...

and...

September 29th, 2010 at 6:15pm
Kathryn
In 1977 I was 13 years old, sitting at the back of the Southern Stand of the MCG watching the pack fly for the ball. I remember the noise of the crowd drop for a moment, then Twiggy Dunne was awarded the mark. It is history not that He kicked the goal which tied the scored and lead to a replay the following week.

33 years later and I am sitting at my Golf club, shaking with excitement, watching another Collingwood lead disappear into a Grand Final draw.

I must admit, the significance of the moment was lost on me at 13 in 1977, and the next day and week were like any other... but last week blew me away, and could not get a full grasp in my feelings until reading the Monday papers, and while I read, I could feel both a level of comfort over what had occurred, but also a re-emerging excitement for the game to come.

Football today appears to me to be akin to a job of work, and last week was not the best day on the job. There remains two things to get done, and need to get done properly. Firstly the Grand Final needs to get done, and get done properly... and of course -
St KILDA NEED TO GET DONE, AND GET DONE PROPERLY.
September 30th, 2010 at 10:13am
craig davis
This week has seemed strange, a grand final awaits the prize hasn't changed .........yet we feel so different. Its very difficult to describe the feelings leading up to a do or die preliminary final and then the relief of progressing through to the Grand Final. Relief then changes to anticipation and then the consequences of the Grand Final creeps through. in July 2010 I found out my father had terminal cancer, he went to the doctor with a stomach ache and 4 days later after what was supposed to be routine, difficult, but never the less routine surgery was told he had 6 months to live. The football became crucial to him and his recovery, talking in the hospital about the players, the games the results the footy tipping ladder, normality in a strange time.
In 1977 when I was a ten year old my father slept or tried to in between renditions of Good Old Collingwood Forever outside Victoria park to get tickets twice to grand finals......
After the devastating news of July I set about bankjing on the the IF. If we make it, if we get there I will try and get you tickets. We did make it, the fairytale was almost complete.
On the Thursday night before GF1 I sat with my dad and we knew he wasn't going to be well enough to go. My son 15 year old Matthew wasn't going to have the I was at the 2010 Grand Final with my Grandad story. As I sat with my dad on Wednesday the 29th of September whilst he was having chemotherapy, i told him I have tickets again for GF2. He replied Good better make room in the car, I think I was meant to be there. So when you see the 3 of us together remember the generations of support surround you. Some of us make history, some of us memories who can say which is more valuable or are they the same.
Strange week this grand final replay. The prize is the same but I think it means more.....

September 30th, 2010 at 1:30pm
Ronda Brien
I was lucky enough to win free tickets from Coca-Cola on Face Book for last weeks game & this morning i received a phone call saying that they were going to re issue the winners with tickets for this week. So now i will be there to see You & the boys win youe 2nd Premiership in October. All the luck in the world (not that you need it). I have been a Pies fan for about 56years & was at the win in 1958.
September 30th, 2010 at 2:54pm
Phillip McKay
Dear Malthouse Crew,
I think I would have been dissapointed with any result last Saturday. From the dizzy heights of that game against Geelong where we singlehandedly deconstructed the Geelong Football Club to the game on Saturday was a dramatic fall. I expected a similar result and got it for a half I guess. No I'm happy with the draw.As i want a real victory. I'm greedy for that big win. But i also thought why cant we be satisfied with equality. I'm ok with the Saints being as good as Collingwood. I am ok that you are equal to me. I think I'm scared. I'm worried! Come on Mick. Come on Boys!!!!!! Geeeze Travis - dont think, just kick! Remember if you believe you can you are right, and if you believe you cannot you are also right.
GO PIES!!!!!!!!!! I believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
October 1st, 2010 at 11:28am
Marika
From NZ but follow the pies from a distance having seen them play live 7 years ago and now hooked so watching the game live at home. Go the pies You deserve to win
October 1st, 2010 at 11:32am
Marika
Have been following the pies for 7 years since I saw them in a live game. Will be watching this at home in NZ, cheering the boys on Go the Pies
October 1st, 2010 at 6:03pm
shirley forde
I am feeling confident Michael I know the boys can win.
October 2nd, 2010 at 7:08pm
Greg Gorter
Gday Michael,
THANK YOU !!!!!! its been quite a journey & quite a while since we last won a Grand Final. Whilst the players get the glory, it can't be underestimated how crucial your coaching & support of the club has been. Thank you so ver much for the time you have spent with the players & the absolute "Leadership" you have shown them. They are champions because you have helped make them who they are !!!! Well done mate. We have supported the club for over 45yrs and we are so proud of what has been acheived today ! THANK YOU :) Greg & Family - Stawell VIC
October 3rd, 2010 at 5:18pm
Maggie
Mick,
An inspirational finish to a magnificent season. Congratulations to you and the boys for your hard work, determination, persistence, strategies and everything else that contributed to winning the 2010 AFL Grand Final.
As long time Magpie supporters we are proud to be part of the Magpie Army. Through thick and thin we have been there. We wear our scarves with pride in WA today as we celebrate with you, the team, your family, Eddie and the extended Magpie family.
We are proud of all that you are and all that you have done - thank you!
Go Pies!
Maggie and Alec, Bunbury WA
October 4th, 2010 at 4:35pm
sue
Thank you and the players of collingwood for giving us this win the premiership for 2010 i had my doubts about your leadership mick but you brought it to the table and proved me wrong. I think i was just getting impatient i had my doubts about Lee Brown omg wat is Mick doing but we just adore the man now he seems so humble. I know we will be seeing more premiership in the future you have worked hard and devoted your precious time to build this side so enjoy it Mick and your family it is well deserved Congrats and THANK YOU AGAIN xxxx
October 6th, 2010 at 4:24pm
Barry
Dear Mick,
I think you should produce a statue to DARREN JOLLY for the wonderful contribution he made to the team this year. He provided the big man strength and leadership that we have been missing. Also Leigh Brown was excellent also. Both men cleared the way for our midfield.