Michael Malthouse - The Official Website of Mick Malthouse

The Bye

29.06.2011 | Posted in Commentary by Michael Malthouse | 8 comments

On Thursday night whilst on “The Game Plan” I was shown the win/loss record for teams following their bye. After 13 rounds only Geelong had won their game following a bye. Asked why I thought this was, I didn’t have any scientific evidence only my own thoughts that we are programmed to play week after week during the home and away season and when something alters this it may take some players/teams time to adjust.

We came away with the win on Saturday night following our second bye for the year, however my thoughts on the poor win/loss record within the competition following a bye still stands. We are all creatures of habit and when a change is made to break that habit it tends to unsettle us and takes us time to adjust. The example I can think of is when you have a holiday from work, whether it be 1 week or more, although on the first day back you are refreshed and keen to get back into it, it is often a struggle and can take half a day or so to adjust back into “work mode”. If this is the case some people may ask, why do the records show that teams seem to benefit from the week off during the finals and more times that not come away with the win following the rest? I believe the fact that you are geared up all year to focus on finals must have some impact. I am not saying that the home and away season isn’t important and that the game following a bye may be taken lightly, only that when you make the finals there is no switching off, not for week one and not even on the week that you may have earnt a rest. Your focus remains the same, the ultimate goal is within your grasp and nothing is going to distract from this.

Thank you for your support.

Mick

Back

Comments

June 29th, 2011 at 9:09pm
smauge
Interesting. I never thought of the finals comparison. I'm glad we are now one of only two teams now that broke the bye hoodoo anyway!
June 29th, 2011 at 9:39pm
GG
I agree with your comments Mick - the goal is different when it comes to finals (and in the majority of cases there is no second chance if you lose during the finals), whereas during the home & away season if you lose there is always next week.
June 29th, 2011 at 11:24pm
Genc Kalaja
Which makes our Geelong game all the more credible. If no bye you would think we would have beaten them. We would not have had the slow start and finish.
June 30th, 2011 at 2:29am
Tina Paspaliaris
Completely agree..that's how I originally got my head around it..I compared it to any form of routine and what happens if your routine is thrown out...it does put you off no matter what your game or job is or day to day life routine is.....if it was meant to be interrupted it would not be called "routine":...Also what would happen on game day if each player didn't follow their set routines...heck Dids wears the same green jocks evety gameday imagine if he couldn't wear them...would it psychologically affect him...you bet ya!!
June 30th, 2011 at 10:21am
Oggi
I've thought about the difference between the break beforethe prelims and mid season breaks. I believe the difference is that during the midseason breaks, numerous players are given time off to go 'back home' or spend extra time with family, whereas before the prelim I'd imagine players focus still very acutely on the game.
regards
June 30th, 2011 at 12:25pm
Snag Breac
The returning-to-work analogy is a good one. It takes a while and much coffee to crank up. More credit to the lads for steadying the ship against Sydney.
July 12th, 2011 at 8:46am
Steve
Mick.. I'm sick of reading these articles about what you are going to be doing, as are most Collingwood people.. What I do want to say is that you will be revered and loved by the Collingwood faithful for the rest of your life, whatever you decide to do. You will never go anywhere without having someone want to thank you for what you have given us. The enjoyment of not only the past 12 months, but the whole 11 years has been something that we will all have with us forever. I have now seen complete unbridled joy in my little boys face, and he has seen it in mine, that is something I will be forever endebted to you for. Being a part of Collingwood is something special, but without your 11 years of effort, it would not be what it is today. Thanks for a lifetime of memories..
July 16th, 2011 at 9:35pm
MADonPIES
Intelligent outlook from a great leader. Please stay with the pies Mick, you have no idea how many supporters love you and what you have done for our team, supporters like myself who have followed the pies all of their lives (48 years for me) and we have hung in there for better or worse. And believe me we've had more ridicule than any other team. Don't desert us now that we've only just started to learn how to win a premiership. We have many more to win and a hell of a lot of payback to rub into their smug faces.