Michael Malthouse - The Official Website of Mick Malthouse

A tribute

28.08.2011 | Posted in Commentary by Guest | 41 comments

Our Fake Watches have the same look as original watches and our Rado Replica feature high quality movements. Now the latest trend is to go for fashionable Rolex Replica because they are with low price and have the same look color and style as designer authentic Richard Mille Replica.If you want your watch to be as much a piece of art as it is a piece of jewelry or a functional object, a Luxury Noble must de watches watch is an ideal choice!All top-notch fake cartier must de Omega Replica from our various websites are extremely authentic and guaranteed brand new.

There have been many times in my 32 years with a dad in the football “spotlight” when I have wanted to come out publicly and defend him for the non-truths being told. However I was always taught to ignore it and rise above the critics, that he only wanted to focus on the team and that the public would work out the truths from the stories in their own time. I know dad still stands by this (I must admit the fact that he doesn’t defend himself does drive myself and the family crazy at times!) So without insulting anyone, I wanted to take this opportunity to pay tribute to my dad for the person he is.

When I see Michael (Mick) Malthouse in front of me, I see my dad, as simple as that. I see the man that brought me up (in partnership with my mum Nanette) to be a strong, loving, caring, loyal and hard working wife, mother, friend and employee. The man that may not have always been present in the physical sense due to his commitments to football, but was still always there when I needed him. The man who taught me right from wrong and encouraged me to be my very best at all that I did, but was still there to catch and comfort me when I didn’t quite succeed. He is the man who still makes me laugh more than any other (ok... on a par with my husband) and is also the one that found humour in embarrassing me at school by bringing my lunch into my class when I had left it at home…and I am talking high school! He is loyal and protective of me and gives unconditional love, like all fathers should. He is simply an amazing dad and grand father for that matter and I love him for it.

People always ask me what it is like having “Mick” as my dad? For me I don’t know it any other way, it’s what he has done since I can remember, I guess the only difference is that when he makes a mistake or there is speculation or controversy about him or even when he is successful, that the whole of Australia knows about it. It is for this reason I do try at times to sit back and look at my dad as the coach. When I see him working on his team on the magnet board at home, at training or when I go to watch Collingwood F.C play, I see Mick Malthouse as a mastermind. The man that doesn’t just coach but teaches and manages his boys. Mick has coached 3 teams now all of which were struggling at the time of his appointment, and has developed them into dare I say it, very successful teams. (I unlike some, I do not always base success on a win/loss record but look at where the team and the individuals were at before he took over.) I have seen him take sides lacking a little in talent and polish, to be final contenders. There have been games when I have never seen him coach so well (knowing the adversity that the club at the time may have been going through) whereby he is absolutely exhausted afterward, only to lose and have to face the awaiting media. I must say now that I am very proud of that fact that I have never heard him blame his players, after one of these losses, even at times when clearly they were the reason for the loss. Maybe not always from lack of heart but simply because they lacked the talent of the opposition. To me Mick Malthouse is the best coach in the game and without disrespecting the other coaches of the AFL (as I know there are some very good coaches out there); I cannot foresee anyone replacing him of this stature for a long time to come. People may say I am biased because he is my dad; the fact that he is just that, surely gives me the right to be.

As his 28 years at the helm comes to an end, I hope that “people” will finally sit back and acknowledge what this man has achieved and done for the game of VFL/AFL. Who knows, someone may do a tribute to him yet.

Thanks,

Dani Kearney (nee Malthouse)

Below are some of the achievements of Mick Malthouse, just to refresh some memories.

Playing Record:
St Kilda 1972-1976 53 games,
Richmond 1976-1983 121 games (including 1980 Premiership)

Coaching Record:
Footscray 1984-1989 135 games,
West Coast 1990-1999 243 games
(including 1992 & 1994 Premierships),
Collingwood 2000- Present 282 games (including 2010 Premiership)

Awards:
1985 Players Association Coach of the Year, 1991 Inaugural AFL Coach of the Year,
1992, 1994 & 2010 Jock McHale Medal,
1995 JJ Leonard Medal,
2000 Australian Sports Medal,
 2001 Centenary Medal,
 2005 North Ballarat Football Club Hall of Fame,
2007 Ballarat Sports Hall of Fame,
2008 & 2010 Australian Coach – International Rules Series,
AFL Life Member,
West Coast Eagles Life Member,
2010 AFL Coaches Association Coach of the Year, West Coast Eagles Club Hall of Fame.

Back

Comments

August 28th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Ben Scott
Thanks for sharing that with us Dani. We all think he is brilliant too! As a passionate collingwood supporter I thank him for all he has done and wish him the best of luck post CFC - whenever that may be. Fingers crossed for this finals campaign!
August 28th, 2011 at 4:58pm
Richard
Success really is what you get out of whatever you do. Ups, downs, wins or losses. You've got to stand up for that in any case.
August 28th, 2011 at 5:07pm
michelle
Mick, just read dani's tribute, brilliant. I just hope that if you stay you'll be happy (personally i wouldn't be) but if you go i wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do. As I know you'll give it your all.
Michelle
August 28th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Neil Madden.
Wonderful tribute to the best coach ever
August 28th, 2011 at 5:50pm
Debbie Stack
What a lovely tribute to your father, he would be so proud of you too l'm sure.
August 28th, 2011 at 6:28pm
Duane Piert
Father of the year?
August 28th, 2011 at 6:43pm
Deb
There is always a special relationships between father and daughter. A lovely read Dani and I would always defend my father to the bitter end. Brightest blessings to your families.
August 28th, 2011 at 8:01pm
Kotch
Reading this moving tribute convinced me once and for all that Mick Malthouse is not only a great coach but has also done a great job as a father. How he has managed to combine a high intensity role with a focus on his family is testament to the man. I am also convinced that Mick will "smell the roses" and will not coach anywhere next year -after all with daughter's like Dani why would you not want to spend more quality time with those that care.
August 28th, 2011 at 8:09pm
James Matthews
Great words Dani, sounds like Dad is pleased.... he tweeted the link :). There are many of us out here that appreciate the great work Mick has done. And like Mick we probably just dont speak up and defend him. I am looking forward to watching him now develop the role of DOC. A good move by Collingwood for the long term success of the club. In a sense he is still at the helm and I hope for many more years..... Thanks Mick ...go show em how its done !!!!
August 28th, 2011 at 8:12pm
Debb
In your world of black & white your family certainly are the colours! how proud and loved you all are, please take the time to enjoy each other x
August 28th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Peter
Great to see a Daughter with such love and respect for her Dad. I can only hope that one day my own Daughter speaks as highly of me as Dani does of you Mick.

Maybe the next time the media says what a tough rotten old bugger Mick is, they should read this article and see what the only people who REALLY matter, his Family, think of him.

Go Pies!
August 28th, 2011 at 8:21pm
Cathy
Well done Dani couldn't agree with your more, your father is a true leader and teacher, he encourages and nurtures people to achieve their dreams. All the best for the future Mick whatever you choose to do ( hopefully you stay at Collingwood that's me being selfish). All the best for the finals and Go Pies!
August 28th, 2011 at 9:13pm
Meghan Williams
I agree with everyone's comments - Mick has been a great coach at more than one club and hasn't finished yet. It is a big thank you for what you have done for the Magpies. Dani I have done the same for my Dad, he deserved it too :)
August 28th, 2011 at 10:04pm
Emanuela Centorrino
I was nearly in tears reading Dani's tribute to (in my opinion) one of the greatest coaches and family man ever - Mick Malthouse. What a wonderful family you have, you are an inspiration. May whatever you choose to do after the 2011 finals series be fulfilling for you. Myself and many others thank you so much for making our 2010 year the best ever, and I hope 2011 is the icing on the cake. THANK YOU SO MUCH GREAT MAN!
August 28th, 2011 at 10:29pm
Linda
A beautiful tribute from a loving daughter to her Dad...All of us Collingwood supporters would like to say thankyou to you and all your family for sharing this wonderful man with all of us and everything Mick has done for the Collingwood Football Club and its supporters ..I wish your Dad and all your family all the happiness in the world as you all truly deserve it to have stayed such a close and loving family thats always under the microscope from the media ..We are so happy and proud your family chose Collingwood to be part of your lives
August 28th, 2011 at 11:06pm
Tracey Hallam
Spiritual Revelation:
I've supported the Pies all my life. Football was like religion in my house. I put faith and hope into my team and I have always stood by my club. However the decision to replace Mick has created a rift in my devotion. Logic, fairness and the clubs greater good does not appear to be a factor in the decision to replace Mick. He has done his job above and beyound what was expected or thought possible. It's not broke, why try to fix it? We can only go down from here! I feel fear arising for the future of the club. I feel total dispair. I need to find sense of this craziness in order to accept it. ... After deep thought and meditation clarity of the situation arose. Mick has done his job for Collingwood. Mick is by far the best coach in the AFL. Mick has taken the club to it's highest heights possible. And now it just may be time for Mick to expand his magic. Magic that no other man currently posseses in the AFL. Mick strives and grows through challenges. Maintaining greatness is nothing compared to creating greatness. As much as I would love Mick to continue in his role as coach with the Pies, it appears that whats best for the club is not going to occur. I have great faith in Mick. I would love to see him work his magic with Melbourne. To show his greatness yet again at a club that really needs a shing light in a time of darkness. Melbourne needs a strong leader and a visionary, Mick is all of this and more. Mick is a man to be respected and admired. For Mick not to be coaching is unjust on the entire AFL and the football world at large. He has so much more magic to share. For Mick I don't feel this should be the end of a journey , but the begining of yet another journey. A man of his stature should be able to decide when it's the end of his journey, he has definitely earnt that right.
I for one hold hope that there is more magic to come.
August 29th, 2011 at 12:30am
James Theodore
Dani
You and your siblings are clearly Michael's best work. I am 46 and have 2 boys. I have followed Collingwood my whole life and never before had so much fun watching them play Thank you Michael - but my 2 boys are the best thing my wife and I have ever done and I am sure that is what your dad would say about you and all his kids
Well done to you and Michael
Please stay Mick and enjoy what you have created
August 29th, 2011 at 3:46pm
Dazza
You're not alone in thinking Mick gets it tough: http://the-gripper.blogspot.com/2011/08/grippers-guide-to-caroline-wilson_21.html
August 29th, 2011 at 11:03pm
Janette McGrath
I believe Mick is the best coach of all time. I know Buckley will never come close to Mick, as a coach. I wish he would stand aside and let Mick continue on coaching until he wants too
I now hate Eddie for this mess he put the club in
August 30th, 2011 at 7:20am
Phillip Malone
Nice piece. It is sometimes easy to forget that the people involved in the game we love are just that, people! When fans are criticizing players or coaches, they should remember that they are Sons, Husbands and fathers to someone!

The media are reporting that one of the reasons Mick wont coach is that "the Family" doesn't want him to coach next year. Is this accurate?
August 30th, 2011 at 7:23am
Snag Breac
Such a tribute from a daughter shows Mick’s worth as a man and a parent. We already know his worth as a coach. He still has much to offer Collingwood and the footy world. I look forward to enjoying his feisty media encounters for years to come. And to you and the whole Malthouse family – be assured that for every knocker or opportunistic journalist, there’s a thousand Pies barrackers right behind Mick.
August 30th, 2011 at 7:30am
Jo Lane
Thank you for sharing Dani. What a lovely read. I think your Dad is brilliant as a coach but he also has an amazing presence... I can understand why you are proud to call him your father. You don't need to defend him - whatever the future brings he will be remembered for being an amazing leader.
August 30th, 2011 at 9:32am
Angela Fielding
Well said. Mick is a true champion of the game. I'm sick of the media who pretend to know what he is thinking or what he is going to do after the 2011 season is over. Why can't the media concentrate their efforts on the successes Mick has had and possibly will have this year. I hope that he stays at Collingwood and continues to impart his wisdom for the next few years until he decides to retire completely.
August 30th, 2011 at 9:50am
Lee
A fantastic tribute! I can only say I really hope he gets the acknowledgment he deserves. I thank him for everything he has done for the CFC and wish him all the best for the future.

Thanks Mick!
August 30th, 2011 at 10:15am
cw
Mick you are a legend and everyone at Collingwood knows it. Please know that we will all support you in whatever you decide to do and you have the faith of the entire Collingwood tribe. I honestly do not think even the most faithful of Pie supporters would have thought three years ago we could go back to back. Let's show all the rest of them that we can do it.
August 30th, 2011 at 11:19am
Tony
Individuals like Mick Malthouse transcend trivial things such as football. I am not a Collingwood supporter so I do not view Mick through black and white eyes. Watching him master his craft over the years and become wiser in his view of life in the public eye has been a journey in human growth and compassion that has been a priviledge to ride. Dani you have been blessed to have a father that has given you the values that you will carry through and always hold you in good stead. Enjoy your Fathers Day.
August 30th, 2011 at 12:11pm
Maggie
Well done Dani. It is appropriate that you speak out about your dad. Mick Malthouse is a fine leader and coach and an inspiration in the football world.
September 16th, 2011 at 1:06am
Tony
What a magnificent tribute.
Mr Malthouse I would like to thank you for everything you have done and given to my magnificent Club.
My son was born in 2003 the only Man he knows as the coach of Collingwood is You , he was a member on his second day of being born and only fully understanding and following FOOTY for the last 3 years he loves lives and breathes FOOTY he loves Collingwood he loves Alex Fasollo and adores You when we go to the game and sees you he yells out Your Name and when he sees You on tv he sits and listens.
Mr Malthouse I would like to thank You for giving my son Josh the best most full filling introduction to AFL and to THE COLLINGWOOD FC on behalf of myself and my family thank You and we wish You and Your Family all the health happiness and luck for the future in whatever you may do and pursue THANK YOU
Regards Tony
September 17th, 2011 at 1:07am
Cheryl Atthowe
Mr Malthouse. I have been a Collingwood supporter even before I was born. My children are Eagles supporters because we now live in WA.
I thank you so much for you time and your amazing effort,not just with Collingwood, but the fantastic job you did with the Eagles as a Coach. You ARE an amazing Coach as you were a Football player.
I am saddened that you are leaving Collingwood, but I wish you the best in your next endeavour XO
September 23rd, 2011 at 11:13pm
Simon
You are a great man MICHEAL MALTHOUSE. Your legacy will live on for generations. God bless you and your entire family.
September 24th, 2011 at 12:48am
Simon
You are and absolute legend MICHAEL MALTHOUSE. Your legacy will live on for generations. God bless you and your entire fanmily. Go the pies
September 24th, 2011 at 12:52am
Simon
did I say you're a legend and beyond that a person that many will hear your words of wisdom and give you credit for being a very decent human being. God bless again.
September 24th, 2011 at 11:19pm
betsy taylor
Hello Dani:

Well, *I* am not related to this gentleman and I mimic your comments, excepting of course the personal home-life ones.. I follow Collingwood, because of your dad. When he goes, and if they don't do right by him, I will follow them no more. Your dad is right - the public finds their way to the truth - he doesn't need defend himself. I respect his ethics, work and otherwise, his credibility and his desire. How he would be replaced at such a time of achievement, is beyond me. Mr. Malthouse - i am but a single individual - but I admire and salute you!
September 29th, 2011 at 10:26am
Lucas
Last week Mick went past Phonse Kyne to be the coach of the Magpies' 2nd most finals.

21 finals so far with a 13-7-1 record. Putting it into context, he has coached us to more finals with more wins (and at a better strike rate) than Bomber Thompson did at Geelong over essentially the same period.

14 finals wins (at Collingwood) would match the number of wins from Matthews at Brisbane, Parkin at Carlton, Jeans at Hawthorn and Pagan at North Melbourne.

In terms of overall finals wins, Mick sits alone only behind the great Jock McHale. Unless of course, the Pies win, and then they would sit level on 27, which would be the crowning achievement on a great career.

All of the coaches mentioned in above got these teams two premierships at the clubs mentioned, and what better way for a coach to go out than with an emphatic exclamation mark on what has been a fantastic coaching performance, particularly when having to deal with the draft, inflated salary caps, and in the case of WCE, an unfair burden of interstate travel.

What I've always appreciated about teams he has coached is they invariably bring their best when it counts most. And his teams have always had honesty and integrity at the heart of it all. Players he coached have saved footy clubs (Kennedy at the Dogs), coached a flag (Worsfold and no doubt more to come), and been fine upstanding members of the footy community.

Collingwood over the past decade have been a pleasure to watch and support, and purely as a sports fan, and I will certainly miss his influence in the future.

Come on Magpie Machine, one more performance, even if it is just for the coach!
October 2nd, 2011 at 11:30am
Sue
How lovely to read in words the love & pride a daughter has for her father.
Thank you Dani for sharing.. please pass onto Mick the following... and wish him all the best for the future.

Thanks Mick... for everything.
Great coach, great man... great ethics.
Not a bad word to say about anyone.
October 2nd, 2011 at 11:48am
Emma Connellan
Dani, Your a star for this tribute. I'm a Collingwood supporter and if you don't mind and see this comment could you say a big heartfelt thanks from me to your Dad.

He has changed the club significantly and he has done so much for the players at the club. The integrity shines through. I have listened very closely over the years to your father's comments and thoughts after games and he is very inspiring. So sorry for all the boys and you Dad after the GF loss. You can't win them all. I was very proud of their efforts given the way the cards fell this year. So sorry to see him go from the club. May many blessings continue to come his way. All the best to all your lovely family.

sincerely,

Emma
October 2nd, 2011 at 7:20pm
Ryan Prendergast
Thank you for all you have done for the club and the conduct in which you have handled this transition. You will be missed but remembered with many good memories. You got Collingwood to play arguably the most entertaining style of footy by any club over the last decade. I had stopped watching football in the late 90s as a kid and I had no interest in football anymore. When I turned 16 you came to the club and I watched a few games out of curiosity. To my surprise, I got back my interest in footy. I have watched almost every Collingwood game for the last 12 years and have become an enormously passionate Pies fan that even my dad (who is also a Pies supporter) is terrified of. Thank you for rekindling my interest in football and adding something to my life that gives me so much joy. If you ever want to come back in any other role at the club we would welcome you with open arms when you are ready. You have changed my life and many others in such a positive way.
October 4th, 2011 at 6:17pm
lyn
I just want to thanyou for everything you have done for the collingwood football club. You have given the supporters a premiership and alot of hope for the future. My sister is battling cancer and was able to go last year but not this year so again I cant thankyou enough she will always treasure that moment. You have shown integrity and honour to our supporters and players and I will always thankyou for that.
I wish you and your family all the best for the future.
October 7th, 2011 at 2:59pm
Carlo D'Angio
Dani - never have truer words been spoken.

Your dad is a goodman and it has become obvious that the CFC hierarchy has been unable to hone in on what is important. In an attempt to create a "big picture" perspective for the future of the club, it has lost its greatest visionary; your dad.

Without seeming too disrespectful of the CFC, I am so glad that (sadly) Michael Malthouse has departed on his own terms and has proven to Mr Maguire that, in fact, he CANNOT "have his cake and eat it". I fear that without the coaching, or at the very least, the overseeing of the team as Director of Coaching by Michael Malthouse, Mr Maguire and the CFC will be eating "humble PIE" for some years to come.

History will remember this fiasco, and the name of "Mick" Malthouse will transcend and rise above all the negativity it has caused. He will be remembered as a good and fair man and a true believer of the boys he has coached.

Actions certainly speak louder than words, and Michael Malthouse has emphatically demonstrated this.
August 27th, 2012 at 8:36am
Rosie Williams
What a wonderful tribute to your wonderful Dad Dani.

Now, to keep him wonderful for all of us; passionate Magpie fans, DON'T LET HIM GO TO THE FILTH IN CARLTON!
What a travesty that would be and how divided I would be! He's the best thing that ever happened to Collingwood and WE love him.
Stay a Magpie Mick and enjoy doing what you do in Media etc; great job; don't go backwards!
What are you going to say to all those Magpies in your family; especially those gorgeous grandkids who were born wearing Black and White.

Thanks for letting me talk
April 12th, 2013 at 9:51pm
Jim Stavris
Gidday Mr Malthouse. Good luck with Carlton. Hope you do great stuff with them. I'm a Tigers supporter and remember when you played with us. We could use your talents. My friend commented on here a while back. She's a Pies person. I just want to say that on September 17th, 2011 at 1:07am
Cheryl Atthowe forgot to mention that you played for us in the 1980 Grand Final where we whooped Collingwood. That's all. Love your work.